Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Environmental Machines


After seeing a post a couple years back I was inspired to at some point create an "Environmental Machine Collargraph" lesson. Finally I was able to put something together and I couldn't be more excited by the results. The stars couldn't have aligned better.  Both the timing of the "Lorax" movie coming out and Earth Day on April 22 really made this lesson current and well rounded. 


After discussing the word "environment" and coming up with a brainstorm list of things that are negative towards our environmental, students watched clips from the old "Lorax" movie. I then assigned their mission...
To create a "Truffula Seed Planing Machine"!

Many of the machines used in the story cause negative impact towards the environment. IDEA! Lets create machines that help the environment. Fresh off the train named "Dr. Seuss Inspiration Express" the kiddos were ready to sketch! 

Collagraph printing plates. 
After a day of brain storming and sketching students were ready to learn about collagraphs. On a small sheet of tag board students sketched their final idea. Then, on top of all pencil lines, students began to glue small strip of craft foam. This process took two full class periods. On the forth day we printed using brayers and block printing ink!


Now for printing I have no organization advice. 


No matter what I did it turned into a MESS! 


But thats ok...


Because we tried out best


While were riding...


The "Dr. Seuss Inspiration Express"!


In my next life I will teach poetry and creative writing:) 


1 comment:

  1. I love these. Collographs can be such lovely starting points. I once got my students to make icons like the Russian ones of themselves using card,string and PVA glue. When they were finished they had to work back into one of the prints with gouache and overdrawing. They were lush. Thanks for reminding me.
    Your blog is full of great ideas!

    ReplyDelete