Monday, November 14, 2011

Cherry Blossom Scrolls (2nd Grade)






These scrolls start with a chalk pastel blended background and india ink branches blown out with a straw.   

Students then used Craypas to create their blossoms and used a small red foam square to create their signature seal. (I wanted to purchase a real signature seal but could not find one so instead I created a seal using an exacto blade and an old pink eraser!)

Some classes ended up with extra time so we drew "Stillwater"the panda from the book "Zen Shorts" by Jon Muth. 

For displaying these lovely projects, I used hot glue to attach popsicle sticks together to ack like a dowel on the top, and glued a single popsicle stick to the bottom to give the scroll a bottom weight. A small red string to hang was the finishing touch. 

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I've used the straw technique with my students, but never for a lesson on scrolls. I especially love the treatment of the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! What kind of paper did you use? Was the ink able to get absorbed into the paper over the pastels?

    ReplyDelete